Our initial classes are intended for students who can speak Japanese with some proficiency. For this reason, all classes will be taught in Japanese, although some English may be used to explain
new and more difficult Japanese words. For reading and writing in Japanese, we believe that a child’s level of knowledge is more important than the child’s age in determining class placement.
Therefore, through interviews as well as evaluations of reading and writing proficiency, we will determine the correct class for each student. Kindergarten will be the only age specific class.
Kindergarten Class (5 and 6 years old)
- Introduction to Hiragana and Katakana and to Japanese culture through seasonal activities and crafts.
Elementary 1st and 2nd Graders
- Master Hiragana and Katakana and introduce the first 240 Kanji; begin reading simple stories and writing simple essays.
Elementary 3rd and 4th Graders
- Expand Kanji proficiency to encompass the next 400 characters; expand reading ability with increasingly challenging reading assignments; improve writing ability by means of more complex
Elementary 5th and 6th Graders
- Expand Kanji proficiency to encompass the next 366 Kanji; expand reading proficiency with increasingly challenging reading assignments; improve writing ability by means of more sophisticated
- Currently we plan to have kindergarten and elementary classes on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons from 5pm to 6pm. This schedule is not final and we would be happy to discuss it with you. Seichou
Juku is closed on holidays.
- Seichou Karate® & Judo, 807 North Royal Street, Alexandria, VA 22314
- Group class (maximum of 10 students).
- One class, one day a week - $100 per month (plus $50 every half year for class supplies).
- As these are not private lessons and the instructors must teach the other students, we cannot provide credit, refunds, or make-up classes for missed classes.
- Kazuko Kano and Kiemi Watabe-Langlois are highly experienced educators and hold teaching licenses issued by the Japanese government.